Monday, March 12, 2012

what's cooking?

I'm glad you want to know (if you don't- stop reading now, if you're hungry- give me a call, if you want another good recipe- please keep reading)!

If this could be a scratch-and-sniff post it would be so much better.

Jalapeno and Beer-Baked Beef

It smells so delicious.

I started it this morning; it had to bake in the oven for 2 1/2 hours before chilling out in the fridge. Now it's back in the oven getting warmed up.

While the oven does all the work, I've got potatoes boiling in some water. Once they're cooked, they're going to get pan fried and tossed with baby spinach. I'll season them with some oregano, garlic, salt and ground pepper. I'm not following the recipe exactly, but I did link to it for you.

The beef recipe is from my "Back Home Again" cookbook (I don't know if I mention it in the post I linked to...). I don't have time to type the recipe, so if you want it let me know. I'm always happy to share recipes!

In the meantime there will be lots of red meat and spinach in our house as I try to raise my iron levels. I don't have an official word that I'm anemic, but I've been bruising a lot easier lately. It's not going to hurt anything to eat foods with iron, so I'm hoping that will help. I had been avoiding red meat because I know chicken and pork is better for you. And we just so happen to like chicken and pork.

But we also like red meat.

But red meat can be pricier.

I should have gone to Ken's Fruit Market (they have a meat counter). I may have to go there next week for more red meat.

Time to go finish my potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment