Saturday, March 24, 2012

high school musicals

We enjoy supporting our youth by attending their high school musicals.

Last night was no exception as we saw Sean (in his last production) and sister Jenna in "Legally Blonde" the musical. Last year we saw them in "Once on This Island" (don't worry, we had never heard of it either). We've also seen their school plays; most recently "A Christmas Story".

Last night's production highlight was seeing Jenna shine in the spotlight. She played Brooke, a widow in jail for supposedly murdering her late husband. Brooke is an exercise star, so while the legal team is "watching" her video there was Jenna; jump-roping and singing.

Jump-roping, doing dance moves, and singing.

I can't even lip-sync while I jump-rope.

Jenna sang. And she jumped rope. It was super impressive. It was easily the best part of the musical.

We've also seen Abbie in her school's production of "High School Musical 2".

We saw Molly and Tim in their high school production of "Our Town" and I saw the same school's performance of "State Fair" in which Molly played in the pit. I probably blogged about that somewhere... or maybe that was before I was blogging everyday...?

Anyway, we've seen a lot of plays and musicals and we look forward to seeing many more.

Of course that made Bill and I reminisce of our school musicals. I was in "The Wizard of Oz" in 5th grade (I was a munchkin, my one and only line was, "How are we going to find out?"), and in high school I played in the pit for three musicals; "Mame", "Music Man" and "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat". Bill was in "42nd Street", "Bye-Bye Birdie" and "The Pajama Game". He was in more, but can't remember. He was also in their school play, "Auntie Mame" which I find amusing since our school did the musical production!

Music, performance art and the visual arts are important.

I just thought I'd share that last statement.

Also, on a performance note: Skylar's orchestra won the highest ranking at their contest (this was a few weeks ago, but I never mentioned it, this seems like a good time and place to do that)!! Woo hoo!!!

She'll be here for Spring Break next weekend. I can't wait!

Now that this post has gone absolutely in a random direction, I'll leave you. Hopefully you can find your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment