Wednesday, March 21, 2012

thoughts on cookbooks

Oh, if I could have my dream kitchen; the cookbooks that would fill my shelves...

Huh?

Yup. You read that right.

While I have dreams of a beautiful glass tile back splash, cupboards set at the right height, cupboards that don't leave behind a trail of termite-looking dust as wood drags on wood, cupboards with cool features that don't require climbing onto the counter to reach into the far depths (a trait that few appreciate, hey it's a good upper body workout!) or literally crawling into to reach into the back corner, a dishwasher and maybe even a garbage disposal (that one is still up in the air, I may prefer composting; but you can put anything down the disposal so maybe it would come in handy for what can't get composted), I dream more about the cookbooks.

I do more research for the cookbooks. The rest is stuff I know I want. Period. The cookbooks are like the cherry on top. Having new cookbooks and new recipes are always fun to try whether in a new kitchen or the old.

The iPad has helped reduced my printing off of recipes, lowering the paper usage (I've gone green!) and generating a whole new world of hoarding, er collecting recipes. But I still love books. And there are still cookbooks out there that I want.

I think to convince Bill that I need more cookbooks I have to read and cook out of the ones I have now.

My list as it stands???

I'm glad you asked:

One Dish Dinners by Pam Anderson
Joy the Baker Cookbook
Better Homes and Gardens (in the three-ring binder version)
all of PW's cookbooks
all of Giada's cookbooks
possibly an Emeril cookbook
possibly any other tv host cookbook (I'm not picky)

I am on my way to utilizing the ones I have. I have blogged a couple of times about recipes from my "Back Home Again" cookbook and I often use my BH&G and Betty Crocker for basic recipes (and pecan pie). I also have a couple from my grandma, both Italian cooking. By now you should know how much I love Italian food. And I have Ben & Jerry's ice cream cookbook, along with several others.

They're getting used. Slowly but surely. What happens when I've cooked and baked through all of them?

I'm not sure, but maybe I'll still be blogging and I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment