Friday, March 9, 2012

Thursday and the drive home

We packed up the vans at 6:30am. We said goodbye to Nicole (Kelsey had said goodbye the night before) and headed over to the Simple Way (the organization started by Shane Claiborne) Once there, we joined in their morning prayer. They use a book (yup, that's as much as I can remember right now, some kind of devotional book. Sami knows what it's called) and the Bible (that's the more important one to remember). It was sort of a service, there was a call and response, two scripture readings a song and prayers. Neighbors joined us, the sounds of the city were all around us. It was a great way to end our trip. Plus the prayer we read together was about going home. How appropriate!?

We headed west. It was Team Rojo Grande vs. Team Rental. We drove on the Pennsylvania Turnpike for what felt like days. Actually, it didn't feel that long at all. We stopped once for a potty break and then around 1:30-ish we stopped at a plaza for lunch. Team Rental hadn't stopped talking, but Team Rojo Grande had some sleepers; time to switch! Then it became the Girls vs. Guys. \

At the beginning of the trip while we were still at the Vine, Tony had asked where we were going as a joke. My response was, "Isn't this the trip to Florida?" And Sami responded with, "All you packed was a bikini?!" Which was funny because my suitcase was large (not the biggest, the same size as Sami's) and extremely heavy. If all I packed was a bikini... well you get the picture. So on the trip home, in the all-girl van, we decided Girls Rule and it was time to show the bikini. Good thing Sami has done this a time or two. There were sharpies, a pad of paper and tape. I drew my bikini and made a beautiful sign. We taped it to the back window. It amused us. We wonder how many people we amused on the Turnpike!?

We made it into Ohio. Pennsylvania is a long state.

We had to make a gas/potty break. Thank goodness for Service Plazas. It was pouring down rain at this point. And it was much colder. We had left a warm spring day in Philly... We stopped near Sandusky to drop off Brenna. Then we were back in our Team vans. We did Affirmations. If you're not familiar with that, it's when everyone says nice things about everyone else. It's a warm fuzzy and after spending almost an entire week with my group it was a nice way to tell them how proud of them I am. They didn't know each other hardly at all (with the exception of Precious and Shelby) and by this point in the trip they were begging Sami to let them stay in the same van. Switching for Girls vs. Guys was not easy for them. Each one of them showed amazing courage and love. They jumped right in to anything they were asked to do. I didn't hear a single complaint about any of our tasks, even the dusty, dirty day of cleaning! They showed God's love to everyone. They didn't hold back. It was amazing to see how God was working in each of them during this trip. They grew before my eyes. I am so happy that I had each and every one of them in our group. And as I said through tears on Wednesday night, last years' trip was so awesome! I came into this trip wondering how it could match last years?? And while last year remains awesome in its own way, this year did top it! The groups are what make it awesome. What? Can't I have a favorite trip two years in a row?

I can't wait to post pictures.

After we dropped off Brenna at her car, we made it to Ypsilanti for dinner. During Affirmations, we had watched a gorgeous sunset in front of us. Then we saw the moon rise behind clouds and then the skies cleared. We drove through all kinds of weather. As I type this, it is snowing!

We made it back to the church in GR by 10:30pm. It was time to say goodbye. The GVSU van headed out. A few people were picked up, and Sami's Speedy Shuttle Service with a Smile delivered the rest of us home safe and sound.

I hope I did our trip justice in my blogging. If any of the participants are reading and would like to add more (send me a message on FB or leave a comment), please let me know, I would be happy to!

No comments:

Post a Comment