Friday, September 21, 2012

croutons!

Really, who doesn't love croutons?

I know I do.

Awhile ago I started making my own.

It is so simple it's ridiculous.

First, start with a loaf of crusty bread. Our store sells a loaf for $1.79 or, if I'm near the bakery, I stop in there and buy whatever they have (this time it was French bread).

Second, and this is the key to good croutons, you want the bread to sit on your counter for two or three days (which is very difficult when the bread is aromatic and every time you walk by it you get a whiff of that delicious smell).

Third, slice the bread and then dice it into whatever size croutons your heart desires.

My heart desires bigger chunks.

You can even go crazy and pull it apart with your bare hands. I like the civilized approach using a knife.

Fourth, drizzle the bread with olive oil. Sometime I add a little salt and pepper just to give it some flavor. But you can just use the oil (especially if you buy a loaf of bread with garlic or rosemary baked into it).

Fifth, put the chunks of break onto a baking sheet and place in a preheated 350 degree oven.

Bake for ten minutes.

Or longer if you have a full tray of croutons like I do.

Or if you like them super crunchy.

Sometimes I have to put them in the toaster oven to crisp them up right before adding them to a salad.

Sixth, and last, enjoy!

Okay, six steps may sound like a lot. But it's really not. Especially when you control the flavor. Does this make it easier; take your loaf of bread and cut or tear into pieces. Place on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in a preheated oven for ten minutes.

There you go. Three easy steps. Homemade croutons. Go forth and eat salads!

No comments:

Post a Comment