Thursday, September 20, 2012

a driving memo from Emily

Let's talk about driving. I realize this could easily be a Blah, Blah, Blog post but I'm going to lament here.

There are people (friends, family) who think that Bill and I are a bit aggressive in our driving. I would like to clarify if anything, we are defensive.

Coming from someone who has taken a defensive driving class, you should listen to me.

I digress.

What ever happened to the act of driving?

When one is sitting at a stoplight how does one miss the signals (pun not intended) that one is about to get the green arrow which does not last forever?

The right turn arrow changes from green to yellow. That's a sign.

The cars turning left have ceased. That's a sign.

The crosswalk sign has stopped flashing and is a solid "Don't Walk". That too is a sign.

Literally and figuratively.

So why does one choose that split second to look away from the big yellow traffic signal hanging right in front of them to look at their phone?

If you want to talk. Talk.

If you want to text. Text.

If you want to read the news. Read the news.

But please, please I beg you, stop doing it in your car. Period.

It doesn't matter if you are driving.

It doesn't matter if you are stuck in traffic because of road construction.

It doesn't matter if you are cruising down the interstate.

It doesn't even matter if you are sitting a stoplight.

We used to be able to change the radio station and drive.

We used to be able to eat fast food and drive.

Apparently the tipping point was the phone.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but since I had to honk at the person in front of me, who just happened to glance down the moment the light changed from red to the green turn arrow, I thought I would regale you in my driving education moment of the day.

Please drive your car and focus on the road in front of and around you.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment