Sunday, February 26, 2012

the art of stacking dishes

I have blogged about our "dishwasher" before. And in various posts I've talked about doing dishes.

Did you know there's an art to stacking dishes?

There is. And I've discovered it. And I'm going to share it with you.

You are about to be enlightened.

Trust me, this may come in handy someday.

I wash glasses and while the silverware soaks. I start with the glasses, because the water isn't greasy therefore the glasses will sparkle and shine. Then I move to the plates. Plates before bowls. I used to do bowl first, but then we got a new dish-drainer and now the plates go first. Then the bowls are stacked up against the plates, which helps everything drain. Then the big stuff, usually pots and pans.

Yes, the water is "dirty" at this point. There's a school of thought out there that you don't need to wash your pans as the greasy layer helps add flavor, etc to your cooking.

Um, ew. I'm not exactly from that school of thought. And trust me, if the dishwater is super dirty, it gets drained and refilled. But for the most part, two people do not create a lot of dirty, greasy dishes. So I can still wash my pots/pans in the existing water. Plus I rinse with super hot water. And by not refilling the sink half-way through, I'm saving the planet.

I know. I would save the planet faster by purchasing an actual dishwasher. But that's in the kitchen remodel future, not in the immediate future. I just try to be careful with how much water I do use.

Oops, I was talking about stacking the dishes.

I digress.

Popcorn bowls, pots, pans and various other large objects get stacked up on each other. Until I have something of a sculpture, making use of long-handled spoons to keep everything in a stack, and blocking the cupboard directly above the dish-drainer.

As I knock on wood, I haven't had any large toppling "Jenga-ish" disasters. I have cracked a few glasses by stacking them along the back of the drainer, against the wall. But they only broke when they slipped down over another glass. Good thing we have extra glasses.

That is the art of stacking dishes. Any questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment