Sunday, February 19, 2012

call first

This is my new rule. If you're going to come over and visit and we're not expecting you, call first.

I will no longer be answering the door.

I have had the misfortune of answering the door three times in the last week to sales people. I understand they are just trying to do their job. I politely listen to their pitch. Then I politely tell them no thank you.

If I want to buy something, I'm going to do research and then I'll call the "right" people. I don't think I'll ever buy something from someone who knocks on my door, save for the Girl Scouts and their cookies or Boy Scouts and their popcorn (or the neighbor kids and whatever fundraiser they're selling, so basically if you're older than fourteen, I'm likely not going to buy something from you).

We frequently have people knocking on our door because they, "noticed our old wood windows". Yup. We have the original windows. And why would I replace them, when they are just as efficient (or will be once Bill finished restoring them), replacing them only adds more trash to the landfills, and the replacement that the salesman is trying to get me to buy are vinyl.

Our house in Jersey had vinyl windows. They were crap.

Wood clad windows are a better choice. No one is selling those door-to-door. Do you know why? Because they're expensive. If you want those windows, you know you want them.

Vinyl is the cheapest solution. And there's a reason. Because they're made cheaply.

I wasn't going to get on this soap box, but the guy at the door gave me something to blog about.

He tried telling me that his aluminum windows were better for the environment than our wood windows. This is what I told him, "I'm not going to stand here and argue with you because it's Sunday..."

That threw him. He had no reply. I wished him good luck and told him that I was glad he had sunny weather in which to do his job. I made it clear that I wasn't going to listen to him any longer.

Did I mention I'm in my pajamas? Tonight at youth group, we're having a pj party. So when we got home Bill suggested going ahead and putting on our pj's. I did. He did not.

He didn't answer the door because dear, sweet Juliette was sleeping on his lap. She's still there. Lucky me.

Unlucky for the poor salesman.

Bill is still chuckling.

No comments:

Post a Comment