Monday, February 6, 2012

a new rice dish

You might think I could blog earlier in the day. Or you wish I would blog earlier. I think most of you read my blog and "catch up", none of you are reading it for the timeliness.

Some days I just don't have time until after dinner. Or some days, I want to blog about dinner.

I like to wait until after dinner, you know, to make sure it turns out.

Tonight's dinner did. I have a recipe book called "Back Home Again in Indiana". It was a wedding present. I had started looking through it for the Hoosier Pie recipe. I decided to go through from beginning to end for other recipes, after discovering that it did not have the official state pie recipe (an oversight for sure).

I found one for "Southwestern Rice". I'm pretty sure the only thing that makes it "southwestern" is the chopped green chilies. It was rice, layered with a special sauce comprised of sour cream, plain yogurt, Worcestershire, the chilies, and garlic. Between the layers of rice and sauce was a layer of Monterey Jack cheese. It was topped with cheddar and baked until "golden".

For the record, the rice was a long grain brown rice. Possibly the only healthy thing in the entire dish. Oh and the yogurt, it was Greek.

I liked it. I thought instead of the two cans of chilies, I could have added one and an onion.

We had it with grilled chicken breasts.

Tomorrow night we'll be having leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment