Thursday, October 27, 2011

worlds apart

I just finished reading "Valley of the Dolls". A book I've been wanting to read since I saw it on the shelf at my in-laws house several years ago. Okay, so it took me awhile, first to remember that I wanted to read it and then to actually get it at the library. That too took some time, I put it on hold and had to wait for it to show up at my local library branch.

Side note: I love how technology helped the library system. It's so easy to log in, find the book I want to read, put it on hold and wait for the email. Sure, I could go stand in the library and become completely overwhelmed by the selection or frustrated because I can't find what I'm looking for. Instead, I can browse from home in the comfort of my pj's.

While I was reading "Valley of the Dolls" I had "The Help" on hold. That one took longer to become available what with its recent popularity.

What I find interesting is my choice (or maybe coincidence) to read these two books back to back. They take place during the same time frame. Granted most of "Valley of the Dolls" is the 1940's, but it ends in the 1960's which is where "The Help" starts. I've only just started "The Help" and the two are so completely different. It is shocking to me.

I hope that's a sign of the times.

I know. They're both works of fiction.

But some of it has to be based of facts and research.

So to have one book about the city life and the struggles of being beautiful verses country life and the literal black and white world are just so poignant. All in the same country during roughly the same period of time. (No, I am not basing that loosely on the fact that the three decades were before I was born. But really thirty years isn't too far apart in the history of the world.)

I'm wondering what I should read next...

1 comment:

  1. I"ve read both of those books and they are FANTASTIC! You will LOVE The Help! I couldn't put it down.....and Valley of the Dolls? Such a good trashy read:)

    Have you read Game of Thrones yet? It's the first in the series by George R.R. Martin. His books are really what make me adore fantasy. They are compelling and so well done.

    I also highly recommend "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the first in what is to be a trilogy. The second one just came out this summer. I have the first and could send it to you if you'd like, just FB me!

    Finally, I am very much enjoying a (teen) series by Kami Garcia. The first is Beautiful Creatures. It is the store of 2 teens in Georgia, Ethan and Lena, and the magical world they find themselves thrust into that goes back into Confederate history. It really is quite good. I just got the third one.

    ReplyDelete