Monday, October 17, 2011

my competition

I'm watching Ellen and there have been several commercials for ready-to-eat foods.

I'm sure they're good.

If you like eating food that comes out of a cardboard box.

I am not a fan of those kinds of foods. In fact Bill had a craving for a jambalaya box mix, a few months ago, and I had a busy week. So I obliged and bought it for him. I had a forkful. On the flip side, I have a recipe for Sausage, Shrimp and Red Rice which is essentially the same dish. The boxed kind made me crave the homemade one. The box kind was super salty and had a weird flavor. I don't know how to describe it; but if you've had homemade food and then have a similar dish from a box and you've tasted the difference you know what I'm talking about.

We love to entertain. I love to bake goodies to share. I have received my fair share of compliments (I've come a long way from mac and cheese and hot dogs!), but if what our guests are used to eating is this boxed food, then I will win hands down.

I'm okay with that.

Speaking of mac and cheese, I've been on the hunt for a really good baked mac and cheese dish. I've had many friends share their recipes with me, swearing that it's the best they've ever had.

I'm picky. I'm looking for a specific smoothness.

For our anniversary, we went to a very nice restaurant. It was not our first choice, that place was unexpectedly closed, but we had been wanting to try the Chop House which is where we ended up. With my steak I ordered the side of three cheese baked macaroni. It was delicious. I asked our waitress what three cheese were in it and explained my search for a dish this good. She told me the three cheeses were Parmesan, white Cheddar and Gruyere. Then she told me to google it and I could find the recipe.

I made it the other night and I found it! This is the dish I've been looking for. Smooth, creamy, light, not oily and just plain delicious. I'm so happy. I love macaroni and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment