Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What's up Doc?


You might assume that with a title like that, I had to go see the doctor. You would be wrong.

This is what I was thinking as I was peeling and cutting up some carrots. I've made mention before that one of my favorite things to eat for lunch, outside of apple season, is carrots with hummus. I had to buy carrots for some other dishes I'm using, so my lunches alternate between the in-season apples and the carrots.

In true Looney Tunes fashion, while I was cooking dinner, I watched in slow motion as the pot of boiling tomato sauce bubbled. I was peering over the pot, checking on it, like you do, when the bubble started. It was supposed to be simmering. I looked closer (yup, I leaned closer) to see if this was a lot of small bubbles. As the sauce moved and my brain comprehended what was about to happen, my body froze. I couldn't move out of the way. The bubble grew bigger and bigger. The entire pot seemed to be alive. It wasn't many small bubbles, it was one BIG bubble.

POP!

Mt. Vesuvius erupted. All over me. As if the sauce were taunting me. And all I could hear was Bugs Bunny with his carrot, "eh, what's up doc?"

Needless to say dinner was delicious. I made Baked Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce with Goat Cheese and Toast. Yeah, I'm going to have to find a shorter name for that dish. It was exactly what the name says it was. The only problem was that I burned the roof of my mouth. It was hot. Very hot. Another Bugs Bunny moment.

Hey, wait. It's a full moon isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment