Wednesday, July 2, 2014

wedding attire

As the Wedding Coordinator for our church, I see a lot. Specifically the tardiness of guests along with their attire.

If you're offended by this post, then I'm talking about you.

In my humble opinion I believe that if you are invited to a wedding that is taking place in a church, regardless of what you typically wear to church, you should dress up. Jeans and t-shirts are not acceptable. Save that for the wedding that is at a ranch.

Perhaps wedding invitations need to start doing what cruise lines do; tell their guests what to wear.

Suggested attire for a casual wear: sport shirts and slacks for men (this does not mean a sweat-wicking athletic shirt), sundresses or pants for women.

That seems reasonable, as long as you know what sport shirts are.

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women.

That leaves formal, which most people know but don't necessarily follow: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women.

In my opinion, a cocktail dress does not mean a brightly colored and sequined dress that a teenager might wear to a homecoming dance. I looked up the actual definition and am surprised, so I'll let you read about it here.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, or was raised conservatively but the things I see people wear make me shudder. I wouldn't even consider buying something like that let alone leave the house in it if I did. Unless it's Halloween.

I'll have to talk about the tardiness of guests at a different time. In the meantime, just know that the sport shirt I was talking about is the reason for this post. Bill asked that I make sure he never leave the house for a wedding dressed like that. Considering he wore a suit to the wedding on Saturday, I don't think I'll have to worry about how he dresses. I'm thankful that Bill knows how to dress and look good.


No comments:

Post a Comment