Wednesday, July 30, 2014

captive audience

You're all so kind. Patiently waiting for my next blog. Not harassing me, asking when I'll write again. I've said before, you can tell when I'm busy… I've been busy.

Monday morning, Bill and I went to St. Joe to spend time with our friends Jenny and John. It's there house where we stay when we go there. They spend most of the year in Qatar. We don't get to see them too often, so we took a few days to spend with them. Well, I did. Bill worked.

We went to the outlet in Michigan City, Indiana. We played the License Pl8te game, because there's an app for that. Check it out, it's great if you love playing that game!

Today, I went to the library to pick up a book, "Clara and Mr. Tiffany; a novel". It's by Susan Vreeland. Kim was telling me about it on our way to Cincinnati. Her book club read it and are going to see the Tiffany exhibit that is currently at the Kalamazoo Museum. I happen to be going to the museum for this exhibit on Friday with Nancy. I had no idea there was a book. But now I do, and I've checked it out from the library.

They just keep making the library easier and smarter to use. Of course that means one has to be smart to use the library. I'm going to have to read more.

I went in and found my book. It was on hold and fortunately I knew where to go. It was when I had to checkout that the trouble started. They don't do it anymore. The librarians. You do it. At a computer. All by yourself.

You need your library card and your password. The password is initially the last four numbers of your phone number. That's all fine and dandy like cotton candy unless you obsess over changing every password because "they" tell you to. Which is what I did.

The very nice librarian came over to help me. I'm very thankful for her kindness and patience. She had to change my password in order for me to check out but that came to an abrupt halt when we discovered I actually needed to renew my card! Huh, they still do that?

They do. And they did.

Back to business. I then went over and checked myself out. It's pretty fancy stuff. There's a specific spot where you have to set all of your books. Not one at a time mind you, all of them, all together. After you scan your library card, all of the books that you just set on that magical spot show up on the computer screen. How does it know?

It doesn't matter because now I know how to check out a book and knowing is half the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment