Saturday, July 5, 2014

Small Fish

You must be able to tell by now when I'm busy having fun. I don't blog. Unless I have time to tell you about how much fun I'm having.

Happy Independence Day! (A day late, but still being celebrated by many.)

We finally made it to Cicero, Indiana for the 4th of July fireworks. Bill also got to experience the Symphony on the Prairie

I hope that it's been a fun way to celebrate our Independence Day and that he got a small taste of what I grew up experiencing.

Growing up near Morse Reservoir meant that we had fireworks no matter what (a few summers ago was the first time since my parents have lived here that they had to cancel the fireworks because it was that dry). For this tiny town, the fireworks show is amazing. The town has about 3,000 people. The fireworks are huge and last a good twenty minutes. I haven't seen a show this good since Bill and I went to South Haven a few years ago.

In 2009, the town celebrated its 175th anniversary. They had a huge celebration with civil war reenactments, vendors, games, and live concerts in the park. From then on the vendors and reenactors have come back. It's not just a one-day celebration but it all lasts for three days. Also, the 4th is when the fireworks display is set off no matter what day of the week.

The UMC I grew up in has always held a fish fry around the 4th too.

It has always been a big deal in this small town.

When Bill and I were first dating, he was in the boating business (retail, not marina). Summers were not his down time in case you aren't a boater.

Two or three years ago I said something to Bill about Symphony on the Prairie and he reminded me that he had never been to a show. It was then that I declared we were going to go to Cicero for the 4th. Last year he was unable to make it because the Sr. High left on the 5th for their work camp trip. Which was fine because I drove to Cicero and had food poisoning (I thought I blogged about it but I did not, instead I blogged about this, which I played the other day and got to 44 on our way to Cicero). Since the 4th was on Friday this year, I put my foot down and said we were coming to Cicero.

We made it.

I had a wonderful 4th just like the ones I remember.

I'm thankful for our freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment