Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Stamps

I wasn't sure what to write about. I need to pull the pictures off of the camera from this weekend, so I can share some of them, but I haven't gotten there yet. So I was just going to write something random, and then I heard that the price of stamps is going up in May. Of course, I just bought a roll of 100 stamps. Now I will have to go buy some odd number of two cent stamps. I won't share my true feelings of the USPS, however it does not paint a pretty picture and has brought on some pretty heated discussions between Bill and me (we're on the same side, so it's more like preaching to the choir...) Hey Greg, if you read this, have you ever felt like you've been preaching to the choir? Or any thoughts on that saying? Okay, so it's still a random post. Have a nice day!

2 comments:

  1. actually, in my experience as a preacher, i have rarely felt like i was LITERALLY preaching to the choir, because usually the choir is behind me or beside me, and i am not facing them. so, in effect, i often feel like i am preaching AWAY FROM the choir.

    however, more to the real sense of the phrase, i have indeed felt at times that i was saying things that ought to be heard by people who aren't there more than by the ones who are. most of the time, though, i try to craft my messages in a way that challenges the people who are there. i never want to just preach what i know everyone in the room already agrees with. i want to push people to new ideas, new questions, and new horizons...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thank you. I had always wondered how a pastor felt with the choir behind them, and what exactly is meant by that phrase. And I also know what you mean by preaching to those who aren't there who should be hearing what you're saying.

    My dad gave the sermon on Boy Scout Sunday and directed it toward a few people who just happened to not be there that Sunday. But it was still a good message and talked about the importance of both the Scouts in the church and the church in the scouts.

    I've always felt that you can get whatever you need out of a sermon. I mean did the pastor write it directly for me? No, but it often times seems like I can pick out certain messages that are perfect for the events going on in my life at that moment.

    And like we talked about in Disciple; it's not what you're getting out of church, it's what God (and the church family) is getting out of you being there. And if you happen to wonder or not find the sermon interesting, then you can pray for the pastor instead of letting your thoughts wonder. Which, for me, is one of the hardest things to do (not let my mind wander). :)

    ReplyDelete