Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Chicago

I love architecture. This picture caught me by surprise. We were walking back to the van after seeing "Wicked" and we were all talking and I looked up, and there was the Sear's Tower.














Then as we were driving to the CSM building, I noticed the Chicago times building, then as I looked past it, I saw the John Hancock building. But the camera totally picked up all the dirt on the windshield.


So we saw "Wicked" and we took a prayer tour on Sunday. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday we worked at a Head Start program at the Carol Robinson school from 9am-noon. Just in time for the little buggers to be ready for a nap! Monday night we worked at a soup kitchen at the Uptown Baptist Church. Very cool, the bananas are donated by the Blue Man group. Tuesday night we were "Immersed" into Chicago. My group fed a homeless man. Very touching, as they decided to do this on their own.

We ate Vietnamese, Thai and of course, Chicago style pizza. All local restaurants, all delicious!

I have to add, our host's name was Emily, she graduated from Noblesville High School (for those of you who don't know, that's seven miles from where I grew up)!

All in all it was a great experience, and the group that we took were amazing. If anyone reading this ever gets a chance to work with CSM, I highly recommend them, as they were well organized and took great care of us.

6 comments:

  1. I know you love Chicago almost as much as New York! It's good to be close to a big city...but not too close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicago was so different then NYC. It amazed me, and I can't wait to go back and experience it again. At the same time it sucks because going back, the experience will be more selfish. I wonder if I'll still see all the homeless people. Will I give into culture and buy crap I don't need when thousands are starving throughout the city?

    But the city has a different feel to it. It was clean! I can't explain that, except that as Bill knows, Indy is also clean. NYC is the cleanest it's been in decades, but there's still dirt. Trash on the sidewalks, a smell about it. Chicago did not smell. The buses were clean, the trains were clean. It was a midwestern city, full of diversity, full of kindness. (And I'm not saying that NYC isn't full of kindness, but they like to pretend their tough.)

    Two different cities, two metropolitan areas, full of architecture that I love to admire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. emily: all of my comments come to my email inbox, so i don't have to keep checking my blog to see if someone commented. so, i get everyone's comments even if they are commenting on a very old post. therefore, i saw all of bill's comments. as to your other comment, perhaps an update on the closet is forthcoming. stay tuned for even more dramatics...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhh. See, mine don't. I'm not that blogvanced. But, that's cool!

    I'll stay tuned for that closet update (there was a proud ruffle of some momma feathers).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Emily - Fun blog. Feeling any better today? I have ash & meghan's pics. I'm waiting for the rest. I stole your flask picture and added it to the collection. I have a "plunging" picture for you to add sometime - from Meghan's camera. Have a fantastic Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sami, I forgot about the plunging!!! Oh, the toilets... I can't wait to see the rest of them. Stacey said she couldn't find the cord to connect her camera to her computer! Hopefully she'll find it. Me, on a tricycle, has "blog" written all over it!

    (and yes, I'm feeling much better, I'd say I'm at 95%, thank you!)

    ReplyDelete