Monday, December 5, 2011

Casseroles vs. One-dish dinners

I have an aversion to casseroles. I don't like them. I never have. If you try to bring me a casserole, I will very kindly accept it and then make Bill eat it. All of it. If it doesn't have tuna in it, I may have a small bite. But that's it.

On the other hand, a one-dish dinner? I'll eat those by the mouthfuls. One-dish dinners are my bag, baby. I dig [into] them.

Casseroles? *blech!*

One-dish dinners? Yum!

Maybe if you just called the casserole a one-dish dinner you could get it past me. Maybe. Only if it doesn't have tuna in it.

One of my favorite one-dish dinners is this one. I add a smoked sausage, cut into pieces, just for fun. I've also added shrimp, but we like it best with the sausage.

1 comment:

  1. You also don't like buffets, even the high-class pricey ones that everyone else in the world loves.
    Casseroles, soups, stews, by those or any other name are the grand dames of food.
    How else can you get rid of mushrooms, green beans, water chestnuts, egg noodles, that 30 year old can of cream of mushroom soup from grandma's bomb shelter and the leftover turkey from last Thanksgiving (or was it Thanksgiving 2008?) in one simple, satisfying meal?
    Call it what you want, casseroles are awesome. And contrary to your statement, the awesomeness of a casserole is directly proportional to the amount of tuna that is in it. If it has potato chips crushed over the top? Oh, baby... that's good casserole.

    ReplyDelete