Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A week in review


Yes, it is yet again another picture of Jars of Clay. This is what Heather left me on her kitchen counter. A Jars "shrine" with a pot holder hanging in the corner! She called me from Nashville to say, "I just wanted to let you know that I am standing twenty feet away from Jars of Clay."

"SHUT UP! NO WAY?" This is me, screaming into the phone at her. hehehe I can't wait to hear more. She sent out e-mails everyday with pictures and a list of all the famous people that she had met/run into/stalked that day. Sami and I decided we're going to sign up next year! I "heart" Jars of Clay. (like you didn't already know that)


This is Shyah, her cute "child of fur" whom I took care of. My own two cats are currently going nuts. I'm not quite sure why...

I had to start all over with my computer and the problem does not seem to be resolved. Yesterday, after the 2 1/2 hours Bill (my tech) spent on the phone with Dell, where they wiped out my computer and started all over again only to realize it was a problem with McAffee, everything seemed to be working fine. Cate FedExed me the disks again, and I loaded them back up today in record time (last time it took us 2 1/2 hours to load the fonts, this time we loaded the program and the fonts in 45 minutes)! But the internet is still running deadly slow. It's driving me nuts! And it's the topic of my blog... I am saddened by that.

Good news is, friends are coming to visit this weekend. I'll have more pictures from Meijer Gardens and that will be a welcome change.

I'm also re-reading H.P. I'm on book three. I spent my "time off" yesterday reading lots of Spinner's on Mugglenet.com If you're a H.P. fan and haven't checked it out, you HAVE to. Oh so many thoughts and ideas. Crazy.

Other fun things going on, Bill made ribs yesterday. He created a dry rub, and grilled them for our dinner. Wow, yum, they were awesome! Seriously the best thing to ever come off of that grill so far! He is a grill master.

So this is my week in review. If you have e-mailed me and I haven't responded, I will soon. Once I get back in my work groove and am not totally frustrated with my work computer!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Em,

    I'm finished reading up on you and am up-to-date now. So I can also start posting again.

    It is very hot here, so unusual for April.

    Do you think Bill would share that ribs receipe with us or is this his Chef's Secret? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will ask Bill if he will share it, which he probably will, if he can remember. He gets in the moment and often times doesn't keep track of what he uses. :) I'm glad to have you back. It was lonely without you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie,
    Here goes with the ribs.
    rub onto all sides of a rack of boneless babyback pork ribs the following ingredients:
    Mustard Powder (very finely ground mustard seed would work, too)
    Paprika
    Chili Powder (Chipotle if you want a sweeter taste)
    Onion Powder
    Garlic Powder
    Salt
    Fresh Pepper

    Let stand for 3 hours in refrigerator covered with plastic wrap. just prior to grilling, mince liberal amounts of white onion and garlic onto ribs. Place in heating apparatus (in this case, I used the propane grill, but you can use a broiler, oven or meat smoker ans long as it has pretty good temperature control). Keep meat away from direct flame. Cook slowly at 275 degrees F without disturbing the meat until all visible sides are darkened. The meat will be about 110 degrees F at this time and it will take between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours, depending on size of rib rack.
    Once the above requirements have been fulfilled, apply ribs to low open flame and separate them. Sear the still pink insides about 4 to 5 minutes per side. The meet should cook to 160 degrees F. Pull off heat and let stand 5 minutes, temp will rise to 165 to 170 degrees F which for pork is medium rare-medium. If you prefer well done, wait until 170 to pull ribs from flame, let stand 5-10 minutes or 180 degrees F.
    If you use a meat smoker, cook for 1.5 hours, flip and cook until desired temp. This will take longer, but the meat will be wonderfully tender. This is how I would have liked to do the ribs, but I don't have a meat smoker.
    Also, you could choose to apply a coating of barbecue sauce about 10 minutes prior to pulling the ribs. I wanted to do a Saint Louis style rib, rather than a Memphis style rib, so I did not use BBQ sauce.
    Bon Appetite,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill, thanks for taking the time! Sounds good. Do you think I could also simply put them on a charcoal barbecue?
    Thanks, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today is May 9. Do you realize your last post was April 26??? No comments about your party...no mention of how cool Sami & Heather are...nothing. I will sit and cry in my corner until I see a new post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Connie,
    It does not matter what type of grill you use, just watch the heat carefully on a charcoal grill!

    Sami,
    I've been busy!!! Check back again soon! :D

    ReplyDelete