Wednesday, December 26, 2007

December

If I had my way, it would be Christmas every day of the year.
The constant reminder that we are the receiver's of God's gift.
The idea that we should "follow the star".
The "newness" of the day.
All of these things are what make Christmas special to me. As I've grown older, I've had to accept that it is no longer about the presents. That giddiness of being a child and waiting to see what Santa has brought is gone. Now it is about experiencing God's love. I'm the receiver of His gift everyday, but I'm most reminded of it at Christmas time.

I hear the bells on Christmas day. I need to listen to them everyday. This is why, if I had it my way, it would be Christmas everyday.
For that reason and simply because I love the colors. I love the decorations that adorn the house. Reflecting on that, it is this time of year that makes these things special. If I left them out to rejoice in Christ's birth everyday, would they lose their special meaning?

Maybe next year I'll fill every room with Christmas items, to remind me of the importance of the season. For now, sadly, it is over. It is time to clean up the pine needles and put the ornaments and decorations back in the attic. Where they will lie peacefully until next year. Until then, I need to remember my gift. Everyone is a receiver of the best gift of all.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment