Wednesday, December 12, 2007

365th day (+ ten years)

My last happy un-birthday of my twenties. You know, from Alice in Wonderland. I'm still not ready to turn thirty. I'm trying to figure out what I did in my twenties.

Ten years ago, I had just gotten my retainer put on. Last Tuesday, it came off. I had my wisdom teeth taken out (only fifteen months ago).

I've grown my hair out and chopped it off at least three times, only this last time I donated it.

Ten years ago, I was in my second year of college. I was a Resident Assistant for a year and a half. I was a camp counselor.

I graduated from college with my B.F.A. in Historic Preservation and Architectural History.

I got married.

I've gone to Las Vegas five times.

I've had several different addresses (especially if you count all the ones from college) but I've lived in four different states and six different cities. In all those moves, we only lost one box of stuff.

I've been to St. Louis, Kansas City (both Kansas and Missouri), New York City, Chicago, Orlando, Pensacola, Atlanta, St. Augustine, Charleston, Cincinnati, Detroit, Windsor, Frankenmuth, L. A., Philadelphia, Hoboken, Cape May, Indianapolis, Trenton, Savannah, Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Cadillac, Mackinac Island, Holland and the upper Peninsula.

I've been on a Mediterranean cruise and to Germany. I've been white water rafting. I've been to the Crayola factory. I've been to the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, Central Park and Harold's Square. I've been to the High Museum (in Atlanta), the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Guggenheim, the Indianapolis Museum of Art, every single museum in Savannah (honest -we took a lot of field trips in college), the Children's Museum in Indianapolis, the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, the Detroit Institute of Arts, EPCOT, the Biltmore, the Birmingham Historical Museum (Michigan), the Henry Ford Museum, Edsel & Eleanor's house, Henry Ford's house, the Meyer May House and Meijer Gardens. I was an intern at Conner Prairie (a living museum in Indiana). I've been to de Yooper Tourist Trap.

I saw The Lion King, Wicked and Spamalot on Broadway. I saw the red carpet movie premiere for Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and shook Kevin Spacey's hand.

I've been in three weddings, and attended seven others, plus my own.

I did not go to my ten year high school reunion (I was at one of the weddings).

I've worked at Bath & Body Works, two different Hallmark stores (one was for my mom). I've done antique furniture restoration. I've served two years on the Historic Preservation Commission. I was a docent (tour guide) at the Andrew Low House. I was a Partylite Consultant.

I've taught Sunday school in three different churches. I've been a member of four UM churches.

I've thrown or was a part of seven surprise parties.

I've seen Jars of Clay, Needtobreathe, David Crowder Band, Sunday Drive, Jaci Velasquez, Lilith Fair, Norah Jones, Boston, and I know I've forgotten a few other concerts...

My 21st birthday was on a Sunday. My parents took me to Chili's where I celebrated with an Amaretto Sour. I've been to eight wineries.

My favorite television shows have been: Animaniacs, Friends, ER, Gilmore Girls, the West Wing, Ed, CSI, Heroes, Survivor, Scrubs, This Old House, Trading Spaces, Every Day Italian, Emeril Live!

I've painted the entire exterior of a house. I've painted three of the bathrooms, when Bill worked for Boat U.S. I painted Ann Curry's kitchen (Ann was our pastor's wife in Savannah, not the one on the Today Show) and her dark room. I helped paint the bathroom at FUMC GR. I painted every room in our house in Toms River. I painted three Noah's Ark murals. I painted my mom's kitchen. I helped Jenny paint her mom's living room. I climbed a ladder and defied falling and painted the stairwell in FUMC Marquette. I have not painted anything in this house!

I've been a bee, little Red Riding Hood, an angel, a hippie and a greek goddess.

I've only cooked one entire Thanksgiving dinner.

We've had a New Year's Eve party, two Halloween parties, two Memorial Day gatherings, a Super Bowl Party (actually two, but last year's we won't count because of snow).

I've sent over eight hundred Christmas cards!


I realize now, that in ten years, I've done a lot! There is so much more. Some things are pretty terrible, others are happy and memorable. But for now, I think that's a good start.

Here's to the next ten years!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Em,

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! All the best for the next 10 years, whatever they may bring!

    Am I the first one to congratulate? I would guess so since you're still asleep (a toast to time difference)!

    Have a great day, I'll be thinking of you.

    Oh, and wow - that's not bad for your 20ies. :-)

    Love
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! you've done a lot in 10 years, i'm no where near as exciting as you! i've got 1 1/2 years to catch up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie -you were the first!!! I was sound asleep. If you had written it at 6am your time (midnight here) you still would have been the first and we were still up!

    Sami... think about all the stuff you've done. You are probably closer then you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Em,

    I hope you had a great day and an awesome party! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete