Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I "heart" Michigan


I couldn't tell you what it is, but I've always had this feeling of needing to live in Michigan. I was born here, so maybe it's just in my blood. I am very happy that I grew up where I did in Indiana. But since the day we moved from Michigan to Indiana, I knew that I needed to live here. I do not count the first fourteen months after Bill and I got married. Sorry to my friends on the east side of the state, but that was not the part of Michigan I wanted to live in. There were many things that factored into that, it was our first year of marriage, I had just graduated from college and was desperately seeking a "real" job, I was depressed, etc. As you know, we moved around. And each move was to bring us closer to moving back to Michigan. Back home. Eventually we had to do it on our own. We made it back last year, in June. It has taken me quite awhile to feel as though I am finally back here. It's weird, but true.

I am a midwest girl. I like the flat farmlands. I like the country roads that are tar and gravel and run north/south or east/west. I like that I can use my hand to show someone where I live. I do not enjoy the smell of cow manure, but I do like that it means there is a farm nearby. I love the corn fields (hey, remember I grew up in Indiana).

Last night, we took a drive on those country roads. And once again, it hit me. We live in Michigan. I expect it will take a few more months before I not only believe this, but don't think of it as a surprise either. I could go on and on, because that's how much I "heart" Michigan. But I'll stop there for now. Just remember this little fact: There are around 9,942 miles of shoreline around all the Great Lakes.


Yes! Michigan. Now if we could only have better roads...

No comments:

Post a Comment