Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Things I learned from Relay...

For those of you who read my blog who didn't know, I was a part of the Committee for the Downtown Grand Rapids Relay for Life. It was Friday and Saturday. I was in charge of the Luminaria Ceremony. I was nicknamed the "luminaria nazi". But let me tell you, those luminaries looked awesome! We were at Ah-Nab-Awen Park, which is between the Gerald R. Ford Museum and the Grand River. The "track" was 1200.4 feet long. There were luminaries lining the entire track except for maybe 100 feet. If you haven't seen it, off to the right on this main page -> is an article from the Grand Rapids Press about a family. It is a very touching story.

Things I learned:

you should sleep (at least a few hours, I went 32 hours with no sleep, then slept for 18)
Committees have members for a reason
sunblock should always be used
driving the Mule (aka Donkey) is FUN!
Construction should not be allowed from the hours of 5pm-2am
Rachael is hilarious
always bring a sweatshirt!
Salsa dancing is fun
Don't lift six concrete blocks (not all at the same time, I moved them individually)


Then there was the Quota Golf Outing yesterday. I didn't learn anything (not that I can think of right now) but we did go on a wildlife golf cart safari! Pam and I saw:
a black squirrel (obviously relocated from Detroit, that's not a slam, it's true, the squirrels over there are black)
A crane (the bird)
a black swan nesting,
the dad black swan who started to charge us
robins
cardinals
brown squirrels
butterflies
moths
dragonflies
golfers
the drink cart
yard men
a lifeguard
a helicopter
and an airplane

I was driving the golf care, Pam was enjoying the drink cart, and having fun pointing all these things out on our "safari". It was fun! Oh, and Pam scored a 47 and I scored a 45 on the 18 hole course. It might have helped if we had golf clubs, but we had a great time figuring out how well we play!

So if you've wondered where I've been, well I was a little busy! I have no pictures, if I get any, I'll post them!

No comments:

Post a Comment