Saturday, June 22, 2013

bird funeral

I witnessed a bird funeral.

Did you know birds held funerals?

Neither did I. But now I know that they do.

I was in the kitchen, making strawberry shortcake when I heard a bird in the backyard.

I realized this bird was making a lot of racquet so I walked over to the patio door to see what was going on.

Atticus was hunched over in the grass. It was clear that he had just killed something.

I looked up in the Redbud tree and saw the robin making all the noise.

Then I realized a morning dove was on the garage. A sparrow flew onto another branch. There were more birds that I could hear, but could not see.

The robin's song changed into a mournful tune. The other birds joined in.

It lasted for a few minutes. It was not the bright, cheerful chirps that I am listening to right now. It was definitely sorrowful and full of grief.

That was the bird funeral. It was very touching and heartbreaking at the same time. I had to remind myself of the circle of life. And then I was amazed at nature and how the birds mourned.

No comments:

Post a Comment