Friday, June 25, 2010

Sandwiches again?

Like Joey on "Friends" I am a fan of sandwiches. To my knowledge, so is Bill (if he ever read my blog he could add his two cents...). For dinner last night we had blt's, tonight I decided to make one of my favorite sandwiches but change it up a bit.

I thought I'd share what I made because it was delicious. I take chicken breasts, usually three because that's how many come in the package, and drizzle them with olive oil, salt and pepper. I flip them over and do the same thing to the other side. Then they go on the grill, about ten minutes per side. I let them rest and then I slice them lengthwise. In the past I've used puffed pastry and refrigerated croissants, this time I had a loaf of rustic Italian bread, so I cut it into thirds, slice those in half and lightly toast them. I made a homemade aioli with mayonnaise, fresh chopped garlic and fresh chopped basil. I spread that on the halves of bread. I layered the chicken, fontina cheese, and arugula on each sandwich. The bread was still nice and chewy, the chicken comes out juicy every time I grill it that way. I like the flavor that the lettuce gives and the fontina cheese is nice and mild. It starts to melt a little bit when you put it on the warm chicken. Mmm. The basil in the aioli was a first attempt and I liked the extra flavor it gave. I only used three leaves so it wasn't overwhelming.

That was my chicken sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment