Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Good Bye...


Good bye to the girls who have helped me more then anyone would ever know. It's strange that something that is fictional and only part of your life once a week can make such a difference. I learned how to joke and be quicker with my wit, from watching the Girls. I can not describe the silliness that has ensued from the seven seasons of this show. While the last season was not what I had hoped for, I have the dvd's in which I can go back and watch them through season six, changing the outcome in my head, and ignoring the fact that Amy Sherman Palladino left the best thing she had going because of differences. That is Hollywood. When the going gets tough, leave. Try something new. Because as the rest of us have seen, that ALWAYS works out.

Anyway, I will have a big box of tissue beside me tonight as I watch the end of one of my all time favorite TV series come to an end. And I will be with my other Gilmore Girl fans in spirit, because this was too unexpected to plan a trip to NJ to watch it as it should have been. But there will be immediate phone calls after the last credit rolls.

Good luck, Lauren Graham & Alexis Bledel! I will miss Lorelai and Rory.

7 comments:

  1. so, i haven't heard your thoughts. i'm wondering what your impressions of the finale are. i mean, of course it is terribly sad because it is ending, but, beyond that, what did you think?

    what i think:
    there's a great deal to be unhappy about. it all seemed so fast. so rushed. "it's too soon," said lorelei. and when she said it i cried like a baby. it IS too soon.

    and yet, if it had to end, it could have been much worse. that is what i am continually telling myself today. it could have been worse. it could have left things really up in the air with lorelei and luke and chris. it could have ended with some kind of dramatic tension (like between rory and lorelei) but it didn't. so, i am trying to tell myself that to get through the day...

    what are your thoughts?

    greg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't want to ruin it for you until I knew you had seen it.

    I think it was obvious that even though it was meant to be a season finale, they had enough time to change it to the series finale. What better way to go out, then the same ending as the first episode. No, we'll NEVER know how Amy Sherman Pallidino wanted it to end, but with out her, it wasn't too bad. As you said, it could have been much worse!

    I cried a lot. Yes, it was very much as Lorelai kept saying, in that it was too soon. I guess, I actually like the ending. It's very much a Gilmore ending. We jumped into their lives, only knowing what we learned each episode, and that is how we leave them. Not knowing where life will take them. Just the Gilmore Girls.

    Does that make sense? (I'm fighting off a cold, so I can't tell if I'm babbling) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I thought given the circumstances the writers did a credible job of ending the show.
    Being a believer in Logan from the beginning, I was a little non-plussed about his leaving Rory and not coming back with his tail between his legs (which I was fully expecting). Oh well, you can't have it all.
    It was nice to be able to say goodbye to the entire cast (Lulu had more lines in this episode than in the last 5 years, combined), and the party gave Luke a resonable outlet to redeem himself. I guess a lot went unsaid, but can we assume Luke and Lorelei will spend their newly found 6 weeks off together? I think so. And I think they finally grew up enough to accept one another for who they were, not who they wanted each other to be.
    Rory reasserts her independance (how could she not being the fruit of Lorelei's loins) and went off on her own. While sad, think about it...didn't we all have to do the same thing at one point or another? It's the circle of life.
    Maybe, just maybe there will be a special reunion show in a couple years that will flesh out the "end".
    While it's sad for us, remember the actors (by many accounts) were miserable, so maybe we will see more work from them that we can enjoy in the future.
    There's my long dissertation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to let you let you know that you are a huge dork...but I would be remiss if I told you I didn't feel the same when 90210 went off the air my freshman year at UIndy...ah, the good ol' Peach Pit Crew, how I miss those days...

    ReplyDelete