Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The list of songs so far...

Here is my list so far. I actually went over them last night with Heather (the Jr. High youth leader) so she's been warned.

What it Feels Like for a Girl -Madonna
True Colors -Cyndi Lauper
Do You Wanna Dance -the Beach Boys
Goodbye Earl -Dixie Chicks
We Belong -Pat Benatar
Linger -Cranberries
Perfect -Alanis Morissette
She Is - the Fray
Sisters Are Doin' it for Themselves -Eurythmics
My Little Corner of the World -Yo La Tengo (from Gilmore Girls)
Sweetest Little Thing -U2
Dancing Queen -ABBA
To Love Somebody -Bee Gees
Otto Titsling -Bette Midler
White Wedding -Billy Idol
She's Always a Woman to Me -Billy Joel

Do I need to defend any of them? Are you confused as to why I chose some of them? There are three leaders who are all pooling their songs together. Not all of mine will be chosen. I told Heather, if I had to pick one off this list "What it Feels Like for a Girl" is my number one choice.

The irony of some of my choices is this: Sunday night we had a band play at youth group. Several other church youth groups were invited (the band was the Sr. High leader's husband's band). All the other youth were up; dancing and clapping and jumping up and down. Our Jr. Highers sat there. They looked like they'd rather be having surgery. I am very curious to know why they were insert word here (afraid, scared, shy...)? There were other Jr. High kids there. But our group didn't know any of them. Are they that afraid of having fun?

I, blessedly, have never been like that in front of strangers. My friends, yes. However, in front of a group of strangers, I will dance, I will boogy, I will twist and shout! Well, at their age, I may have been a little reserved, but I remember getting up and at least trying to look cool (and was probably VERY unsuccessful at it). Finally in college I realized that I should dance like no one's watching all the time. Now I dance because Ellen tells me to. I dance because I feel like it. I dance because I want to. I dance because it's fun!

Afterwards, one of the kids said to me, "You know how you were crazy dancing? I have a bumper sticker on facebook that I'm going to send to you." He sent it to me yesterday. It says, "I often bust out with random dance moves." I love it! The kids all said they had a good time. I don't know how you can have fun, just sitting in your chair at a mini concert, but okay!?

Do you dance like no one's watching? Or are you afraid?

11 comments:

  1. Good choices...my only issue with the U2 song, it's "The Sweetest Thing." Damn me and my pickiness for details. I wonder if I got it from my mom or dad??? My guess would be my mom. Either way...
    When I was in Jr High AND High School, whenever I felt like dancing, regardless of whether I would look foolish or not, I would do it. I still do it. Especially when I'm cleaning and need something to keep me motivated, I put on some upbeat music and dance and clean at the same time. Gets my chores done AND a little bit of exercise. And out in public, too. I'm sure someday it will embarass the crap out of my son, but in the meantime, I'm gonna do it!
    YAY DANCING!!!
    I think I might have to check and see which of these songs I have and download the ones I don't. Definitely trust your judgement on music. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Alison. I didn't think that sounded right. Ah iTunes back in the old days, when you had to rely on some schmuck who typed it in themselves. Bill has gone through a lot of our music... I guess he hasn't gotten to U2 yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Em,

    What's the matter with U2? Somehow I don't get it.

    I think you also need something by REM...

    I don't dance like noone is watching... :-) So I'm one of the scary people

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name of the U2 song is "Sweetest Thing". I made a mistake when I typed it and wrote "Sweetest Little Thing". Now, whether I did that because my iTunes is labeled wrong, or because I was looking at another song, I don't know. Bill just checked his iTunes for me, and it is correct in his. That doesn't mean that my iTunes is correct or that I just wasn't paying attention. But thanks to Alison's keen eye (or as she called it "pickiness for details") she caught it. That's what was wrong with U2, nothing with them, just what I typed in the blog! :)

    REM, you make a good point. I hadn't considered them.... I may have to go back and add a song! Thanks Connie!!! I'm happy to hear from you, even if you don't dance! :) you're not scary...

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's right, queen's just gotta be there. I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to decide which song...

    em, sorry i'm so bad at keeping in touch at the moment. just a little burnt out, nothing major :-/

    hope you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Queen is a separate category. Bill and I wish that someone would write a musical based on their songs. How sweet would that be?

    It no longer matters, the c.d.'s have been made. Four of my songs made it. We had a very successful day with the girls. There was not enough time! We'll have to have another day... I'll have to get a picture from Heather.... I wore my wedding dress! (not the entire day, just while we were at her place).

    I have catching up to do. I was in Alabama last week. I guess I need to get back on the posting! Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  7. there is a "we will rock you" musical in London!

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://wewillrockyou.queenonline.com/

    ReplyDelete